Struggle with Structure

I learned the song on the left at a teacher's workshop and I absolutely loved it so I decided to see how my students would respond.  It has been quite a hit.  I taught it to them on Monday and since then we sing it every morning and also after lunch.  On Thursday at school, my professor came to the school to visit and came into my class to hand out pencils, erasers, rulers, and notebooks that had been donated.  My students suggested that we sing the song for the headmaster, and Dr. Jo my professor.  As they were singing, my heart was filled with joy and I just could not help but smile and get a little teary eyed!  It was so beautiful to see how delighted each student was.  Then Dr. Jo wanted to take a picture of the class.  I then had them stand up by row and line up at the back of the room for the photo.  This also was quite an accomplishment!  The headmaster could not believe that I got them to stand up by row and line up.  

Some of my 43 students!
The way in which we see structure in the U.S is something that is completely non existent here.  You walk into someone's office here and papers are everywhere.  There are no organizational skills in the home or at work or in the classroom.  I have been fighting this every day in the classroom.  The way in which teachers combat this lack of structure is through physically punishing the children.  I understand why they view this as the only way in which they can get the children to listen.

Everyday is a fight for structure in my class of 43 students.  We have a water bucket that I have assigned a couple students to keep full.  After recess, all the boys will play football and come back sweaty and thirsty.  They do not understand that I cannot have ten boys in the front of the room fighting for the cup to drink water.  So, we now have a rule that only one person at a time gets water.  If I see two people, I hide the cup for the rest of the day...and they get no water.  They are slowly learning.  Yesterday afternoon, I was so proud of them because I did not have to take the cup.  They are learning that it is not a race to get the cup for water but that you have to wait in your seat patiently until it is available.
The walk home from school each day

I have had to do the same thing for when they ask to be excused to go to the bathroom.  If I get five students asking me in a span of one minute, I tell them they just cannot go anymore and will have to hold it until break or lunch.  I have also had many tasty treats in class because my students seam to think it is funny to try and sneak food.  Again, they are slowly learning that they would like to keep their lunch for lunch time instead of giving me a free lunch.  They are not allowed any food in the class because I do not want ants.

We are also slowly learning how to pass out and pick up papers and books.  Today they did an excellent job.  I have assigned two students to pass out books and pick up papers and such.  At first, it would always end up with half of the class fighting for the books to see who was putting them away.  They now know that they absolutely do not get out of their seat to hand in a paper.  And that only the people who I assign are the ones collecting books or crayons or papers.  

We have also had many lessons on how to share.  Sharing is something that you do not see here often because people will fight for what they need to live.  They are learning to put the binding of the book down the center line of the desk so both students can see the book.  These are things that seam so simple to me, but it has literally taken two weeks of practice to figure out how to share a simple book.  And we still have work to do.

Another exciting thing that I have seen in the class is students absolutely embracing picture books.  There is a pile of books that I have on two mats in the back of the classroom.  Before school, during break and during lunch, there will always be at least fifteen or so students sitting on the mats "reading" the books.  Unfortunately, along with that, comes the difficulty of dealing with how we treat books.  Most do not have books at home and do not understand how to treat a book.

One of my favorite parts of the day has been reading to the students after lunch.  Every day after lunch I will read several picture books for about 30 minutes.  They are completely engaged during this time.  They also do not get bored with reading a book over and over and over again.  I brought the book The Rainbow Fish with me and I think we literally read it every day this week.  Now, they are understanding the story so well that I will leave out words and they can fill it in.

Students reading before school starts
We have also read the book The Giving Tree multiple times this week.  Both books have been wonderful because they deal with the idea of sharing and giving.  This week, we have really been working hard on learning how to raise our hand and to not shout out our ideas or thoughts.  After reading The Giving Tree one time, the students asked to read it again the next day.  Before we read it, I asked them to remember what the tree gave to the boy and why.  They were able to remember everything the tree gave to the boy and what he gave it for!  I was so proud of them!  It just made me smile.
As I have had to deal with a select number of students who have been acting up in class, I definitely see a direct correlation between their behavior and their academic level.  I have been thinking hard how to target these students because they are definitely farther behind than the other students in class.  It is not easy to differentiate in a classroom of 43 students.

Along with the students, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know some of the teachers and the staff members at the school.  They have been so understanding and helpful in helping me adjust to a completely new school environment.  For example, today I signed in with red pen and apparently that is a big no no.  One of the teachers came and told me and gave me his pen to change it.  I have also learned that I have to write all of the girl students names in red pen and the boys in blue pen in my registration book for the student attendance.

Aside from school, life in Kabala is coming along quite nicely.  Today, I went to the market and bargained for some lapa (patterned fabric) and tomorrow I am going to bring it to a tailor to make a skirt to wear to church.  I am feeling quite underdressed at church with my American clothes.
The perks of rainy season, convenient clean water
Rainy season is coming to a close which means the roads will get better and maybe my feet will not be quite as muddy once I get to school every day.  But in the rain, there is so much beauty. Today, I was sitting on the porch eating dinner and there was a beautiful rainbow in the sky right over Kabala.  The rain also provides very easy access to clean water which I took a nice bucket bath in today.  And it also provides many people with flowing water to bathe in.  


Dinner at Foday's house
We have also been blessed with many people who have invited us over for dinner and given us lots of fresh foods.  A friend at Calvin always said "its all about who you know."  That is the essence of living here in Kabala.  Life here is a web of connections.  There is absolutely no privacy here like we are accustomed to in the U.S.  I have been learning how to great everyone I walk past on the street whether I have met them or not.  I am beginning to feel comfortable and to feel at home.  









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Boots Vs. Flip Flops

The Lagos Hustle

Allah Tanto