What next?

I was talking with my Mom over the holiday, and she asked me "What are you planning to do after you come back in July?"  To be honest with you, I have no idea.  She said people have been asking her so I thought I would write out my thoughts to give you an idea of where I am at.

There is a part of me that is trying to be controlled by money, which says that I need to go back home to pay off my student loans because it would not be possible to do that here.

But then there is a piece of me that wants to stay here.  When I first came, I thought one year would seem like such a long time.  But in reality, it is a very small amount of time.  What can you really accomplish in one year?  By the time you begin to learn the language, understand the culture, it is time to go home.  It almost feels like a waste of my time to just come for one year.

This morning, I was sitting and drinking my tea, and I was just praying and writing about what the plan is for the future.  I know that it is in God's hands.  But you know it is so easy to say that but it is very difficult to actually live that out.  There are so many questions.

Do I start applying for jobs back home?  Do I just make up my mind to stay another year?  How will I raise enough money to pay for my loans?  Will I even have enough time back home to raise enough support if I come back again?

Ah, sometimes God just makes me frustrated because he just likes to do the unexpected, to mess up my plans.  Why can't it just be simple.  I keep listening to this song by Jesus Culture called "Come Away" and it says "come away with me, it's gonna be wild, it's gonna be great, it's gonna be full of me."

Aside from thinking about the future, school has begun!  Oh the first week back is always a challenge.  Getting back into the routine of things for myself and for my students.  I had slates made by a local carpenter so I was able to paint them with blackboard paint.  We have done many fun activities with my students in language arts and math with them.  But again, it is another lesson in sharing.

I spent the New Years at River #2 which is the most beautiful beach in all of Sierra Leone.  I met an Irish couple who have been traveling around East and West Africa for about four months now.  They said they were interested in coming to Kabala so I said we would love to host them.  They were a joy to have around the house and to show them around Kabala.  Hopefully someday, I will get a chance to go back to Ireland and visit them.

Climbing the hill in Kabala with our friends from Ireland
We also now have a new teacher who just came from the States.  She will be co-teaching class II which will be quite an experience!  I am sure it will grow and stretch her in ways she never imagined.  It has been quite a busy first week of the semester with visitors and new people coming in and out, so I am looking forward to some routine again.  Today we had a day off of school for a Muslim holiday so that was a nice surprise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Boots Vs. Flip Flops

The Lagos Hustle

"Anything for the New Year?"