Learning the Lies


Working on integrating Biblical worldview into
Social Studies Curriculum

“How do I teach a biblical perspective on creation when students need to know about the concept of evolution for their exams?”  Questions like this were a common theme during a teacher training on integrating Biblical worldview in the classroom.  This question is an ongoing struggle for teachers in Nigeria, as well as all over the world, as we struggle with teaching concepts that are not necessary Biblical because the students are going to be tested on these concepts in their external, nationwide exams. 

This is where the importance of Christian education is important.  We as teachers may be required to teach these concepts that go against our Biblical worldview.  However, as teachers in Christian schools, we have the opportunity to share a Biblical perspective on these controversial concepts.   From my own perspective, we need to expose students to the lies that we face in our society, and counter that with a Biblical worldview.  Therefore, when students are faced with lies fed to them in a secular society, they will not only be able to discern truth from lie but they will also be able to stand up for what they believe in.    

Developing a lesson to integrate a Biblical worldview into
Language Arts
Some of the teachers taking part in the workshop were opposed to this idea of exposing students to the lies in the world.  The idea of sheltering students from these lies and only teaching them through a Biblical worldview seems to continue to prevail.   This is not only an issue in Nigeria, or Sierra Leone, but it is also a common issue in the United States.  But what happens when these students, who have only been exposed to a Biblical worldview enter into a secular society?

I was homeschooled for elementary school and went to a Catholic school for middle school.  During my education, I was taught a Biblical worldview, but my Mom also exposed me to concepts that were lies, contrary to our beliefs as Christians.  When I went to a public school, I was able to take what I learned with a grain of salt.  I was exposed to many different worldview through my teachers and friends that were contrary to my own worldview.  

For my own life, I thank God that I have been exposed to the lies but also exposed to the Biblical truths in relation to these lies.  When we are exposed to these lies society feeds us, it can easily begin to become truth in our lives if we do not have the foundation of a Biblical worldview.  When we are exposed to these lies, it challenges the truths that we have been taught. 


Many good discussions were had at this training on how to
integrate a Biblical worldview into Lanugage Arts
For me, confronting these lies we are faced with has challenged me to think about what I truly believe.  It has strengthened my beliefs in these truths and it has shaped my own Biblical worldview.  When we just learn Biblical truths and do not test them against the lies we are confronted with, how do we know why we believe what we believe?  When you challenge your Biblical worldview with the lies, you begin to develop your thinking on why you believe what you believe. 


As a teacher, the challenge for me is how do I build this Biblical worldview in my students?  What if we are reading a poem that has inappropriate language?  Do I skip the language?  Or do I read it, and then we have a discussion about the lie depicted in the language, and what the Biblical worldview would be?  How is this message communicated to parents, when many parents expect their children to only be taught Christian principles if they are going to a Christian school?  This is a big challenge for myself and for teachers teaching in Christian Schools all over the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Boots Vs. Flip Flops

The Lagos Hustle

"Anything for the New Year?"