Oceans



You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
and keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rice
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and you won't start now

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

I have been thinking about oceans lately.  I have a fear of swimming in the ocean alone.  I like swimming in it with someone else.  If a shark comes along, at least I am not alone in the fight.  

If I go in by myself, I do not like to go where I cannot see the bottom.  There is something fearful about water that you cannot see deep down into.  It is unknown.  The other day, the ocean was full of seaweed.  You could not see the bottom.  I didn't swim. 

That's life.  I am afraid.  I am afraid of going too deep.  Afraid of going deeper than my feet could ever wander.  I am afraid of seaweed.  I like it when the water is clear; when I have a plan, when I can see the end.  I am afraid to go deep.  The deep is unknown.  I am afraid of the unknown.

I forget that I don't have to go deep alone.  I forget that your grace abounds in the deepest waters.  In the deep, I cannot breath.  I cannot see.  I cannot stand.  But when I call upon your name, you are with me.  I don't have to go deep alone.  

In the comfort of the shallow clear waters, I forget that the deep is teaming with life.  When you take me deeper I find life.  I find some of God's most incredible creations.  In a place where I forget life exists, in the darkness and the seaweed I find abundant life, beauty, strength, grace. 

You have taken me into the depths of your ocean.  You have surrounded me.  You have taken my feet where I could never have taken them on my own.  When I cannot see through the seaweed, you guide me.  When fear surrounds me, you hold me.  You have made my faith stronger because you are always present with me in the depths.  Help me to keep going deeper.  Help me not to be content with swimming in the clear waters.  God guide me deep into your ocean.  Be my guide, be my feet, be my strength when I cannot.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Boots Vs. Flip Flops

The Lagos Hustle

"Anything for the New Year?"